Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"ONE DAY MORE"

ONE MORE DAY. Or, one day more as they would say in Les Mis. I don't even know where the time has gone! Years have turned to months, months to days, days to hours, and here I am. Here is an excerpt from my journal written on August 4:
"I'm actually leaving.  Belgium is no longer a pigment of my imagination.  Belgium is reality. Belgium is not only my new home, but my new life.  My family, friends, school, language, and culture will all change.  But, change is good.  Change is what keeps us on our toes.  Not only that, but change shapes us into better people."

On another note, I still have to stick a few items in my suitcase, but I am essentially done packing. Tip: Start packing early! I'm so glad that I did. I can't imagine trying to scramble a day or two trying to fit everything in the suitcase! It was definitely NOT easy.  I probably started with double the amount of clothing that I'm bringing. My parents are still sending me a package with my heavier sweaters for the winter because they were merely too heavy to try to fit in my suitcase. I originally wanted to fit everything in my suitcase and be well under the 44 pound limit, but that ain't even possible. When the suitcase alone weighs 10 pounds, and the shoes you are bringing at least 10 more pounds, that doesn't leave for much extra space. Alas, I got through packing and I am ready.

Besides packing, I have been cleaning up my room like crazy.  It was never really that dirty, but I organized essentially EVERYTHING in my room. I didn't want to have to deal with the junk I've just been throwing in a drawer for years after I get home (because I'll only be home about a month next summer before I leave for college) so I just sucked it up and dealt. I'm pretty much done with my room too, but between that and packing, I'm pooped.

I'll try to write if I have extra time at my orientation in New York, but I'm not making any promises.



See ya next time
A bientôt,

Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment